Saturday, August 4, 2007

Repenting from being a Pharisee

Matthew 5:3-10 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

I have talked with some of you of my recent experience of repenting from being a Pharisee. I would like to share more.

About 1 month ago, I had a parting of the way with some very close friends. The division was based on a set of laws created by people. I was following my conscience and praying for guidance, but that did not seem to matter to these individuals. They had laws in place and they could not believe the Spirit within a man to be trustworthy enough to follow. Well, if we cannot rely on God inside of us, then we have totally lost anything of value in what it means to be a Christian. Jesus in you.

God also revealed to me that I too had participated in being a rule book, judgemental, proud Pharisee. I am sorry for this. If I have uttered any words to any of you that were out of place, please accept my apology.

Rather than pride and thinking I have it all figured out. God taught me HUMILITY. What a great word. God has also told me that I am an idiot. Which at first glance seems harsh, but I urge you to consider: It is not I that carry wisdom, love, and purity-but the One who is in me possesses all wisdom beyond measure. So I can say Blessed are the poor and humble and broken in spirit, because when we are weak and empty; that is when we are strong. In our humbleness we are lifted up, not in our pride.

To futher that cause, I have nothing to claim of my own even my intellect...But God is responsible for all...my very thoughts are His.

So, whether or not calling yourself an idiot is the right word. It works for me and keeps me in a humble stance; where I am able to love all the people God places in my life.

I just love those words...poverty of spirit. It is so freeing to know we don't have to seek greatness and be proud if we are great, but rather we should seek to think much less of ourselves and let God do the work. Because afterall, he is all powerful, all knowing, all loving, and more than capable, if we believe.

No comments: