Thursday, December 24, 2009

Society 911

Alright, I have to confess. I have been watching too much world news lately.

I realize news media emphasize everything thats wrong with everything and we tend to get a skewed picture of what is happening in the world. I understand that, but nonetheless, the injustice bothers me deeply. I imagine there is much justice taking place, many people and organizations accomplishing good things, but I still end up with a bad taste in my mouth.

Are the statistics real? I don't know.

I mean, how can 25,000 children die every day from hunger? (According to UNICEF)
How can 1 billion people not read or write? (UNICEF)
How can 2.6 billion people lack basic water sanitation? (UN)
How can 400 million children not have access to safe water? (UN)

Is this real? How accurate is this information? How can this occur?

I think the hardest thing for me is that I live in such a wealthy country. I live in a country that throws away food. I live in a country where a major health issue is being overweight. Many of my countrymen wake up and take for granted all the luxuries they have that others only dream of possessing (like indoor plumbing and drinkable water). We expand our desires of what we "need" so far beyond what is "needed" that we can find no joy, no satisfaction, with the basic necessities and enjoyments of life. Not only that but we incur debt ourselves to provide things we don't need and only shackle us to years of debt payments and stress should the economy falter.

How did we get here?

I live in a country that has so much technology, so much charity, so much religion, so much opportunity to do something about these issues. Never has the Earth seen such an advanced civilization with the ability to do so much, so fast.

I wonder what would happen if we could improve the conditions of life in these "poor" areas. Would they then face the same issues we face with excess and busyness and no appreciation for what they possessed? Would they lose their souls?

If we improved life in other places, what does that even look like? Who can articulate that? Should we improve it to be like us? If thats the case, I am concerned.

More consumerism isn't healthy, more debt finance isn't healthy, more wealth for the rich and slavery for the poor isn't very noble, more stuff doesn't fill the hole.

Who has the answer, I can think of only one. We all need Christ at the center. I think Christ at the center pulls us altogether. Only then is it not about material things or power or status or false pursuits, only then is it God and loving your neighbor. What if my countryman learned to carry this out with each other then we may shine forth to the world a different way?

But I feel like we get more excited about a sports event than we do about living and sharing the gospel with those that need it.

I feel like we give up and throw our hands up from our continual let downs by our leaders.

Where do we go? What can we do? Isn't that the question?

Thats the question I'm praying about and pondering. That's the question poking my conscience. Then I look around, I look around for one. One near me, where are you. I want to at least be faithful to one when the problems of the world seem so large, there is always one to be helped..........so it begins with you and me.

No comments: