Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Rejoice! Didn't you hear me, I said Rejoice!!

Philippians 4:4-6
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I love that. Rejoice. I said Rejoice! With an ! point behind it! That pretty much means, be happy sucka. God is awesome and if you have been redeemed and are experiencing true life....There is no greater reason to have joy.

Some friends and I were having a discussion over dinner about it being ok to be happy and to express joy in Christ AND at church. All too often I wonder if young people get the wrong idea about being a Christian. Sometimes it may appear that being a Christian is all serious and somber all the time. It should not be "all the time." Because salvation is a happy thing and should bring you true joy in higher forms than a drug or crude joke can bring you.

My wrongs are wiped away. Love has entered my life. True love, the kind that is unconditional. A relentless love that persists no matter how far I have strayed or how lost I have been. Through all my failures and shortcomings, I am still loved. This can bring nothing but deep joy that would make you want to stand up and rejoice. Maybe even throw your fist in the air and pump it a few times!

No comments: